Friday, November 14, 2008

Special Note from my friend Amy

The following email came in from my very good friend, Amy (she of the awesome Pablo costume making skills!).  She takes this day every year to honor her late mom and remind everyone of some very important things.  I offered to help her spread the word - so here's a beautiful note from Amy:

Today is my Mom's birthday. She is 61 years old. I still celebrate her birthday since she has passed to remember her. She died of ovarian cancer about 7 years ago in March. I take today and that day to remind everyone to get their yearly check ups. She missed some of hers and was determined to be the first woman in our family to hit menopause (all have had to have hysterectomies for some reason). I keep wondering since she had so much fight in her to last 6 years of non stop grueling chemo and surgeries - if it was caught earlier would she have lived? The odds were never discussed by my Mom's request - but from my research - after it was found probably should have only lasted 6 months.

In the six years that she fought to live, she lived - when she felt up to it. My parents went to Disney World during the Christmas holiday bash (something she always wanted to do!) and actually met George Harrison. She stepped onto a roller coaster for the first time because she was terrified of them, and then you couldn't get her off of them! She always had loved her birthdays but celebrating a new year was even more special and she would CELEBRATE.

So please get checked out and make sure all of the girls in your life do, too! They really need to from 18ish to, well, forever. And make the guys in your life get check ups, too. Just annual physicals can really spot some problems while they are still easily treatable.

BUT MY POINT OF THIS....START LIVING AN EXCITED, FULL OF EXPERIENCES, NEVER LOOK BACK, WONDERFUL LIFE NOW - don't wait!!

Thanks and LOVE to all
Amy, Vickie's Daughter

1 comment:

Mrs. Mandy said...

I have tagged you, how are you feeling btw? Anyday now, You look great too!

So just post 7 weird things about you and tag 7 others.