Thursday, September 25, 2008

So, it wasn't just because I was fat

If you haven't figured it out by now, I was the size of a house when I was pregnant with Sean.  And I barely made it through my third trimester, as I had terrible issues with my back, hips and legs, and even the weekly chiropractor visits at the end were not enough.  I slept in a V on the love seat in the living room, trying to find any relief for my aching hips, yet keep the swelling down.  Ugh, it was not fun.

At the time, I presumed that it was my hugeness that caused those side effects.  However, I'm incredibly bummed to realize these past two weeks that it was not my overly large physical stature, but ME!

This go round, I'm significantly smaller, easily 25 pounds lighter at this point than I was at the same time in my pregnancy with Sean.  Heck, yesterday, I wore a pair of regular capris that I had purchased - post-pregnancy - and they were too big!  (Wow, I'm smaller now, at 7 months pregnant, than I was the summer after I had Sean!)

And yet...my hips!  My back!  Yikes, they are struggling once again.  To help illustrate, reach around the back to the top of your bum.  Right above your pencil holder, that part of your spine - that's where all my pain comes from!  On Sunday and Monday, the pain was shooting out of that spot, through my butt cheek, down into my left leg.  It was so intense, that my leg would sometimes buckle under the pain of taking a step.  

Much of the discomfort would be eased if I could sleep on my back, but any pregnant woman knows that's a no-no, as the baby then inhibits your blood circulation.  And it's generally considered bad to impede the flow of blood through your body.  And have you tried laying on your stomach while pregnant?  If you're not pregnant, go grab a volleyball or soccer ball, lay face down, with the ball between your belly and the bed.  Comfortable, no?

So this means at night, it's all on the hips.  One night this past week, I was up at 4am because I physically could not lay down any more, both of my hips hurt so bad!  I've tried the couch all night, as it's easier on the hips, but then not supportive enough for the back - and bring on the aching lower back muscles!

These past few nights, I've taken to starting out in an upright position - last night it was the couch, sometimes it's the chaise lounge in the bedroom.  I do get some sleep, though it's not very comfortable once my head is slumped over.  But I can then move to the bed and have been able to make it through the rest of the night.  The shooting pain has stopped - thanks to trying different sleeping options and lots and lots of yoga stretches.  And this morning, I have a massage with Annie.  I cannot wait - it will be glorious.

Not all my issues are sleep related - I find that my legs, below the knees, start to go numb if I sit too long.  And standing too long leads to leg cramps and bulging veins.  Basically, at 7 months pregnant, I cannot sit, stand or lay down for any extended period of time - so I move around...A Lot!  My doctor assured me that at this point, I'm not facing any health risks, it's just comfort issues.  But they are...My Comfort!  And I have 10 more weeks to go!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope your back is better. Those pains in the buttocks and left leg remind me of my surgery..yikes!
Love you.