Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Logistics of a New Family Member - First Revision?

Really, I should have known that as soon as I committed a plan to paper (er, the blog), changes would start coming right away.  Yesterday I put out a logistical plan for adding a new little one to the house.  No sooner than we finish dinner, Trey starts throwing wrenches into the mix.  

Trey:  So what do you think about next week converting Sean's bed?

Amy, mouth on floor:  What?

T:  What do you think about changing Sean's bed next week?

A:  You mean having Sean start sleeping in a toddler bed?

T, annoyed by my apparent ignorance of a simple question: Uh, yeah.

A:  But I thought the nursery was staying the nursery?  And that Sean was moving into Isabella's room and her furniture?

T, really annoyed that I'm not seeing the obvious:  But that's Sean's bed and it converts.

A:  What's the baby going to sleep in?  

T, really thinking I'm stupid now:  Uh, a crib.

A:  A crib from where?

T, sure I've lost all brains: We talked about using the Schneidermeyer's old crib a long time ago.  We've talked about this!

A:  But that was a long time ago, and we just decided the nursery was staying the nursery, now you're talking about Sean staying in his bed, and the baby getting a new crib, but what about the other furniture, and....

T, cutting me off before my head explodes:  Well, think about it and we'll talk more.

And then I had to leave for a MOPS meeting.  And the following thoughts occur to me as I'm driving to my friend Julie's house:
1.  Trey can't change my plan already.  I just blogged about it!
2.  Oh, wait.  That was MY plan, wasn't it?

So here's my confession.  Trey and I both decided Isabella was moving downstairs and she's getting a new bed.  We both decided that the nursery was staying the nursery.  What Trey was unaware of is that I, therefore, finished the plan in my head, because I need a plan from which to work.  I hadn't actually said to him, "OK, so here are the fine details, based on our decisions!"  

I assumed the nursery staying the nursery meant that no baby furniture was moving out.  I assumed that if no baby furniture was moving with Sean, that meant that Sean was going straight into the twin bed.  Unless he needed an emergency back up crib, which yes, we had discussed possibly using the Schneidermeyer's old crib.  He thought the crib would be for new baby, I thought the crib would be for Sean only if we needed it.  Unfortunately, us thinking things on our own doesn't actually equate to communication!

This, of course, doesn't change the fact that we need to begin construction on Isabella's new room.  But I wasn't going to harp on that last night, given that Trey didn't understand why I was so dumbfounded by such a simple question.  I want to make sure he believes I'm of sound mind and body when I jab the hot poker up his rear to get him motivated for the hard work ahead.  

So tonight, or at least this week, I'll let him in on my whole plan, and then we'll discuss the fine details.  And hopefully we'll be buying lumber sometime in the next week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy, your plan is great. If you wait on Trey,(yes you are my son and I love you), the plan may never happen. As they said on Madagaskar, "you got ta move it, move it; you got ta move it, move it...."