Monday, April 6, 2009

Four Month Check Up

Ryan had his four month check up today, but really it was more a follow up on all the crap that's been going on with the poor kid.  Long story short....Ryan is perfectly fine!  He's big and strong and thriving.  But that doesn't mean he's okie-dokie!

The stats....
He's 25 1/2 inches (75th percentile)
14 pounds (50th percentile)
16 1/2 inches head (50th percentile)

So he's good!  His ears are cleared up.  His stomach virus is over.  But the doctor is not surprised that Ryan is still crazy cranky.  I told him "Uh, I don't get it!"  Well, he said that after the kid is sick, I need to give him at least two weeks to get back to normal.  And it's barely been a week.  His sleep is all messed up, his patterns and rhythms are off.  And he's right, Ryan and I are a bit out of whack after two and a half weeks of sickness.  He is still sleeping through the night, though he's been waking up around 4am, cranky, and needing help getting back to sleep.  But he's still sleeping.  

The doc did say there was a chance that we have some late-onset colic going on.  That was not music to my ears, but he reminded me that it's not that terrible - it's not like it's a disease or something fatal.  He described it as a kid who does great all day and then just hits a wall and can't take the overstimulation anymore.  He told me to start loving the vacuum!  I'm not sure how the hell I'm supposed to cook dinner with a vacuum attached to my arm, but I'm also hoping that we're dealing with Sickness Hangover, and not colic!  It's not that terrible if it's not your kid that has it!  

So this afternoon has been rough - I don't think this round of shots is making him very happy.  Let's add in a crazy energy-filled Sean, running around the house, literally doing laps, banging his head into the couch, and actually bouncing off a door jam at one point.  At least I know that Ryan is healthy - even if he's not feeling that great.  Right now, he's worn himself out crying, rocking back and forth in the swing. I wish I could take it away for him.  I wish I could made him feel better.  No one this tiny should feel like poop this long.  I also wish it wasn't considered taboo to start drinking early in the day!  :-)

1 comment:

Raines Inc said...

I feel your pain!!! We still have a little bit of cholic on some afternoons!!! I know what you are going through if you need a shoulder to cry on or someone to talk to I am there for you as I have been through the same thing. Cholic is no fun!!! Here is hopeing it is just a sickness hangover