Monday, October 13, 2008

Your Backyard Friends.....

We had a slammin' busy weekend, but at least it was fun-busy, as opposed to the drowning-busy I've been experiencing these past two weeks.  It may take me all week to chronicle all we did, but at least we had a blast!  First off......

Saturday morning, Sean and I followed up our Go Diego Go experience with something much more enticing for Sean - The Backyardigans Live at The Fabulous Fox!  I had four tickets to the Meet & Greet, plus VIP seats, thanks to my awesome, awesome friend, Melonie, and her girlfriend, Cindy, who contract with the touring company that puts on the Nickelodeon Shows.  Last time, Sean got to meet and visit with Aunt Melly and Aunt Cindy; unfortunately, they were not here this weekend.  

 
I brought along my friend, Amy, and her little Backyardigan fanatic, Gracie, arriving at the Fox around 9:45.  We waited around for a bit before being led down through the bowels of the Fox to their Meet & Greet room.  Sean was excited, and kept asking where Pablo was.  And then Austin and Tyrone walked in!  Each family went up one at a time to get their photos taken, but all Sean cared about was where was Pablo!  So I told him when we got to meet Tyrone, he could ask him - given that they're best friends and all!

Well, Sean wasn't asking anyone anything when we walked up to the front, and I was pretty sure he was going to rip my flesh off before this thing was over.  He was petrified.  Beyond belief.  I have to admit, for kids who have only seen the cartoon, with their cute little faces, I'm sure seeing a real, human face in the costumes - standing right in front of you - was scary.  Plus, Tyrone was freakishly short next to Austin.  I was a little weirded out....

Tyrone, Austin, petrified toddler, me
We got Tyrone & Austin's autograph on our shield!

Then we headed back up to the lobby, grabbed a snack and hit the Merch stand.  Once again, thanks to Aunt Cindy being a Merch manager, we got to shop for free!  Within reason, of course!  I got both kids a t-shirt and glowing wand, and added a lunch bag and straw for Sean.  (Hey, we have a lunch bag for Parents Day Out now!)  I really, really wanted each of the Backyardigans dolls, but decided that was going a bit overboard, especially when Cindy wasn't even there!  

Gracie & Sean sitting in their seats.  
I think that's supposed to be a smile on Sean's face!

My big cheeser, so excited for the show to start!


Then we got to watch the show - which I don't have photos of, as no cameras are allowed.  Here are some promotional stills.

 

But now I have to be honest - the show, the production itself, wasn't really that good. I'm glad I didn't drop the big bucks for the tickets and merch - the Diego show was ten times better.  The songs fell flat, the set design was ho-hum, and the actors were mixed.  While Tasha was dead on and phenomenal (and everyone else was pretty good), Pablo was terrible.  He sounded and acted nothing like Pablo - a deep, pompous voice?  Has this actor seen the episode the show was based on?  (Because I've seen it a few dozen times!)  And did anyone from Nickelodeon watch this before they sent the production out on tour?  Two other parents in the audience were saying the same thing during intermission, so I know I wasn't the only one who felt this way.  

Of course, in the end, all that matters is that Sean had a blast, and he's still talking about it today, Monday.  And he keeps singing "We're knights, that's right!" all around the house.  Happy kid!

No comments: