Monday, June 2, 2008

A Diego Kind of Weekend

I knew someday I'd have friends in high places.  Who knew that would get me a VIP weekend of Diego...as in Go Diego Go!  My best friend from high school, Melonie, went to college to learn lighting so she could someday tour with U2.  Instead, she and girlfriend Cindy have spent the last 12+ years touring with the likes of Scooby and Dora!  This weekend, they stopped in St. Louis on the Diego tour and treated Sean and I to a VIP Diego experience!

On Saturday, we got to the Fox Theater around 10am for a Meet & Greet.  We waited in line, playing with Sean's Baby Jaguar mask.
 
 





Then we got our picture taken with both Diego and Dora!  Sean had no clue who they were, but I thought it was cool.






  
Mel joined us for one of the photos.  Then Mel took us up front and we got to pick out whatever free merch we wanted!  Sean nabbed a Rescue Pack full of stuff - I could've sold it on the street and made a killing!  





Then we headed to our seats, though Sean was more excited by his stuffed Baby Jaguar than anything.  Until the show started!  He LOVED it!  Got a bit overwhelmed just once, but clapped and said "Yay!" at the very end!  And I will say that the Live show is significantly less annoying than the TV show!




But the best was yet to come (for me, at least!).  Mel came got us after the show, and took us backstage!  We were on the legendary Fox stage, and Sean was diggin' all the puppets we had just seen in the show.  We got to walk the halls, where every performer from every show ever has signed the walls.  It was so freakin' cool!  Then Sean and I headed home, had lunch and crashed!

 

Sunday morning, Sean and I drove downtown to have brunch with Aunt Mel and Aunt Cindy at their hotel.  Sean kicked back in the lobby while we waited, and then we headed up for some grub.


  



And Aunt Cindy soon became Sean's best friend, offering him chocolate milk and fruit loops!  The two of them were having a lovefest while Mel and I caught up on old times.  And while I stuffed my face at the breakfast buffet.  Afterwards, we grabbed a cast member in the lobby to capture a few more pics.





I hated having to say goodbye, as I haven't seen Mel and Cindy since my wedding reception, but we promised (as usual?) to keep in better touch.  And it seems I helped fuel a strong mommy desire in my dear old friend, Mel, who fell in love with my charming Little Man - of course, what's not to love?




After breakfast, Sean and I walked around downtown, but he didn't want to stop for too many photo opportunities - he was diggin' all the cool stuff to look at!  I did snag him checking out the fountain in Kiener Plaza, with the Old Courthouse and the Arch in the background.  




When we got home, Sean dug into his Rescue Pack, and played with all his new goods.  Here's Sean groovin' on his rescue pack and Baby Jaguar masks.




  

Mel also scored us a t-shirt, stuffed Baby Jaguar, one of those spinning/glowing Diego light sticks, plus a backpack full of glossies, posters, stencils and other Diego-related cool stuff!






Unfortunately, Isabella had to be in Hannibal Saturday morning, so she and Trey were not able to share this with us.  But if I forgot to mention, The Backyardigans Live is a sister-show to Diego.  So while Mel isn't touring with them, she is going to score us a Meet & Greet, Tickets and Merch to that show when it comes to STL in October!  I'm So Excited!  For Sean...of course.  Oh, and Aunt Mel and Aunt Cindy?  You Guys Rock!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Um, don't forget about Aunt Mandy when the Backyardigans come to town. I think I like them more than the kids! ha ha!