Friday, April 18, 2008

All Shook Up!

Trey and I were sound asleep this morning when we heard a light bang, which sounded like Sophie hitting our bedroom door to go outside.  The dog has been known to not wait until we get up to go potty, so I hopped out of bed.  But there was no Sophie by the door, and I walked over to her bed, on the other side of the room, and she was still curled up in a ball.  I was confused, but didn't think anything of it, and went to the bathroom.  Because that's what pregnant women do.  Of course, that got Sophie up - "Yay, Mommy's up!!"
So when I was done doing my business, I let Sophie out to do hers, snuggling up on the couch until she was ready to come back in.  It was about 4:45 a.m.  I headed back to bed, just in time for Trey's alarm to go off, and the poor, tired guy got up.  Imagine my surprise when he came back into the bedroom about 30 minutes later to tell me that what we heard was an Earthquake!  Seriously!  So much for that theory that dogs go crazy before the earth starts shaking, mine was curled up in ball, dreaming about chasing bunnies.

Now, the last time I remember being aware of an earthquake, I was in Kindergarten, hiding under a desk, in San Jose, CA.  Because in California, earthquakes are a dime a dozen, and they train you from infancy to get under a desk or a doorframe when you feel a tremor hit.  

Anyhoo, if you live in the St. Louis Metro area, you'll find that the only thing on the news is our 5.2 earthquake - the strongest this area has felt in 40 years.  And if you live in California, as so many of my extended family does, you're likely laughing at us amateurs.  Either way, I can honestly say I was shaken out of bed this morning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grammy K said she thought of Sophie this morning too. Then realized Sophie wasn't there. Uncle John was, of course, already at the coffee shop. He said the table and coffee cups shook. Not to be outdone, I said I WAS KNOCKED OUT OF BED BY THE QUAKE. That's my story & I'm stickin to it.

Love - Aunt Jan

Amy @ FitMommas said...

Poor Sophie - always to blame, even when not there!

I believe your story - it's a good one!

Love you!!