Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Painful, Hot Night

Warning:  This post may cause visuals of me that you wish not to imagine.  You've been warned.

Don't ever let anyone tell you there are no downsides to pregnancy, because they are selling you a bill of goods. Last night, two of those downsides reared their ugly head.  But before I jump into the downsides, you should know that I had a very long day yesterday, prefaced by a horrible night of insomnia.  I ran on adrenaline and Starbucks all day, and spent my evening setting up for today's first MOPS meeting with the rest of the steering committee.  It took twice as long as it needed to, standing around for nearly three hours before it was all ready.

So, those downsides.  The first:  You become a furnace. It stands to reason that you generate a lot of heat building human beings.  When I got home late last night, it was cool, breezy and a bit damp outside.  I walked into a hot, muggy box that was impersonating my home.  Trey had opened the windows, since it was so nice and cool outside.  But our house does not allow air to circulate, and the thick air hit me like a damp, hot washcloth.  I still had a bit of organizing to do when I got home, stayed up another hour or two, and was so exhausted that I crashed on the couch around midnight, not even bothered by the moist warmth.  

The second downside I experienced last night:  Leg cramps from hell.  I was dead asleep, dreaming about setting up with my good friends Mandy and Jane, when a sharp pain hit my right shin.  So dead to the world I was, that I was yelling at Mandy and Jane "Rub my leg, rub my leg!"  Of course, the pain was real, Mandy and Jane weren't!  I finally became conscious enough to realize the pain wasn't part of the dream.  I have no idea how long it took for that cramp to subside, but immediately another one hit my left foot.  Those of you who've seen my heinous feet, try to imagine those gangly toes being forcibly pulled in multiple directions.  Not pretty.  I started pushing my feet against the arm of the couch, and was finally able to stand up.  I walked circles around the living and dining rooms for at least 20-30 minutes, slowly walking out the cramps that were coming in and out of both legs.  

At this point - I felt the heat.  I'm exhausted, sweaty and feel like I've been Nancy Kerriganed.  I also realized that my back is killing me for not sleeping in a great position on the couch, so I decided to try my actual bed.  When I pushed opened the door, I groaned at how much stuffier it was in there than the living room.  I laid on top of the bed, grumbly, basically naked, wearing only my sleeping bra and full body pillow.  Again, not pretty.  And, yes, I wear a support garment to bed, because when you're carrying around cantaloupes for boobs, they need a little soft support 24 hours a day.  

I woke Trey up with my grumbling, and in the most pathetic, high pitched whine I moaned "I'm Hot!  And my legs hurt!"  Even though it was only about 20 minutes before his alarm went off, Trey and I got up, closed all the windows and turned on the air.  Not long after Trey left for work, I was back asleep, and finally cooling off.  Unfortunately, the leg soreness and occasional cramps have stayed with me for most of the day, but I've been stretching off and on, and hope for a much better night tonight.  One that involves consecutive hours of sleep would be nice!

4 comments:

jodi said...

So sorry to hear about this! I remember the horrible cramps in my legs in the middle of the night, too when I was pregnant with Amelia. Hope tonight brings you some zzzzzzzzzz's!

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you had a rough night. I had really bad leg cramps when I was pregnant too. Hope you get some extra rest today!!

Anonymous said...

try eating a banana a day to help with the cramps, it didn't get rid of them completely but it did help some.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your rough night, hopefully the cramps have eased up and you were able to catch up on your sleep. If you need any help during the day let me know, I'd be happy to help out.