Friday, July 4, 2008

A concert that's not Dave Matthews!

Yesterday got exciting pretty early in the morning.  I was sitting at the computer, doing the email thing, when a message came in from my great friend Jodi about free John Mayer tickets for last night.  I emailed immediately, throwing my name in the ring.

Luckily, I was the first computer schlep to drop Jodi that line, so I was off on the quest for a sitter immediately.  If you are not yet a parent, know now that last minute plans are exponentially harder with each child.  I spent the majority of my day jockeying phone calls between potential sitters, Trey and Jodi trying to make the evening come together.  And that was just to pawn off one kid!  (I did manage to squeeze in my first prenatal massage with Annie - so awesome!)

Luckily, Joe and Ann across the street were able to take on Sean duty, and by 6pm, we were up at Westport for apps and drinks (mine a virgin raspberry margarita - not so much working for me!).  We headed over the show, and it was a nice, relaxing evening!  Of course, for the first week of July, it was a decidedly cool evening!  Not sure how the teen girls in their featherweight excuses for dresses were doing, but I was downright cold in my jeans and t!  

Colbie Calliet, while a talented singer, only sings one song - they all sound exactly the same.  I was disappointed in her overall, only because she doesn't have much range.  But she's a spitting image for Isabella's Aunt Audra, so Trey and I were entertained by that for a bit.

But John Mayer was the reason we were there - he's a guy I like, but probably wouldn't pay full price for.  Know what I mean?  I have his first two albums, plus the John Mayer Trio, but wouldn't say I know all the words or anything.  This guy puts on a good show!  He's pretty weird, but as I told Jodi, I've yet to meet a normal musician - that's why they do what they do because they're too weird to have a normal job!  

I was very excited to hear my favorite song, "Clarity," and had a mini-epiphany - Clarity is my favorite song because it's a Dave Matthews song!  Well, not in the real sense, but it's a song that Dave would write if he had, you know, written it!  It's starts off slow and mellow over here, slowly building to another level over there, John's playing acoustic instead of his normal electric guitar, he brings out the horn players.  I'm pretty sure Dave would have omitted the Woo-Hoo's that the song is known for.  At the end of the song, I lean over to Trey to tell him that I just figured out why that's my favorite - and he says "Because it sounds just like Dave!"  Does my hubby know me or what?

I don't think I was fully aware of what an awesome guitar player this kid is, either, and he really knocked our socks off with his finale, an outstanding version of "Gravity."  So in the end, we had rock star parking and potty's, thanks to Jodi's VIP passes, the seats were awesome and free, and we loved the music!  Thanks Jodi and Jason for a really fun night out!

Two concerts in One month?  We're Crazy!

2 comments:

jodi said...

Okay, I'm going to sound like the biggest idiot, but when you leaned over and told me you figured out why you liked the song, "Clarity", so much, I thought you said "its very DANISH with all of the horns and everything". I guess you said, "Dave-ish". Ha, I just assumed you were part Danish along with being Irish. Ha!

Amy @ FitMommas said...

That's quite possibly one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Yes, I said "Dave-ish," not so much Danish!

No wonder you looked at me weird! I was thinking, "Oh great, she obviously hates this song and thinks I'm a big dork b/c I'm professing my love for it!" Which, after the "Air Supply on CD is magic" comment from you, I don't know why I was worried about looking like a dork. (TeeHee! Couldn't resist!)